5.9.13

Summer 2013 - My Kids






This past summer has been quite simply perfect! I tried to slow life down..... that giant force that seems to propel forward no matter what. I don't know that it worked entirely, the slowing down part, but life was a focus. Life with my kids, and my husband when time allowed. We started off our summer just me and the kids and a road trip! We drove and drove and drove. We spent time with family friends and then drove and drove and drove back.

I made a goal to not yell. I admit that I am a yeller. I have always raised my voice in frustration, as long as I remember. But I think that it's time that I grow up. Time that I control my childish fits and focus on the kids. let them yell when they need to and show them how they could do something else instead. This might possibly have been the best thing I've done yet. The response and progress that was/has been made is invaluable to me.

14 hrs of driving to get back home. The kids were burnt (swimming all day for 4 days straight) and I was outnumbered. But we were gonna have fun no matter the length of time. I must say the kids were perfect!! I've never had such well behaved children. Happy siblings playing lego for hours and colouring to hearts content. All that time and we only resorted to our technology for one movie. It was the best way to start our summer. It only got better from there.

The kids have started to show an interest in photography. So an interest they will explore. We stopped whenever we saw something beautiful....... or had to take yet another pee break. I took pictures and then passed the camera over with faith. Evan is getting to be just the right height, and skill. He has a great eye actually. I was so impressed with all the pictures he took of me. I can't tell you how cool it is to see my kids discover talents. I love my children. They are beautiful little people. They teach me.

Liz


4 comments:

leah jane said...

These pictures are all so beautiful!! And your family is darling! Love your style.

Katie said...

LIZ!!!

These pictures are beautiful!! Evan captured so much mother love in you. And the photos of your kids are amazing and darling and imperfectly perfect in an absolutely natural way. I love that you're trusting Evan with your camera. I love the vulnerability you shared in this post with your progress of your mother. I admire that so much! You seem like you're in such a great place as a mother. I wish I could be around you more and see what you do and learn myself.

Catherine said...

I was so surprised to read that these were Evan's photos of you! I thought they were by one of your professional photographer friends! Well done, Evan!!
He does have a terrific eye, and you are such a good Mom to trust him with your camera and allow him to develop a budding talent.
I love the unplanned and free flowing feel of these, kids choices of clothes, them playing with each other, their open, loving affectionate relationships so evident.
You are doing a wonderful job of raising your family, and it shows.
I love your ability to self assess and then act. I can't even think of the last time I heard you yell, either :)
I've loved hearing about your road trips and have been impressed with your coice to stop and smell the roses, so to speak, along the way. What a wonderful summer you created!
xo
Mom

LassieCat said...

tell evan i'll be booking my family chirstmas card photo's with him!! i love it!!!